Compassionate Care for Victims of Sexual Assault
Since 2008, Richmond University Medical Center has been designated by the New York State Department of Health (NYS DOH) as a Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SAFE) Center of Excellence. Our experienced, compassionate team of specially trained nurses provide sensitive care and support to victims of all ages who are victims of sexual assault.
Richmond University Medical Center proud to be:
- The only SAFE Center of Excellence on Staten Island.
- One of only 19 SAFE Centers of Excellence in New York City.
- One of only 48 SAFE Centers of Excellence in New York State.
What is SAFE?
The New York State Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SAFE) program certifies hospitals like Richmond University Medical Center, which provide specialized care to sexual assault patients. Qualifying hospitals licensed under Article 28 of the Public Health Law can seek SAFE designation from the Bureau of Women, Infant, and Adolescent Health (BWIAH). Once approved, a hospital enters into an agreement with NYS DOH, Division of Family Health, obligating the hospital to provide services consistent with SAFE Program requirements. To view the full NYS DOH Designated SAFE Hospital Program Requirements, click here.
Our team of specially trained, registered nurses are trained to recognize, respond and provide care that is highly individualized and specific to the needs of the individual. We use a patient centered care approach, which means the patient directs the level of care they want, helping restore the person’s sense of control and personal safety.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive examination and evidence collection using certified “rape kits” and “Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault kits” (within 96 hours)
- The proper collection, identification and storage of forensic evidence
- Accurate documentation of injuries
- Providing prophylactic pregnancy and HIV prevention medication (within 72 hours)
- Administering prophylactic STD medication, Hepatitis B, and C, and tetanus immunization
- Personal follow-ups by our forensic nurse coordinator and social workers for medical, pediatric mental and gynecological after-care services as needed.
- Referrals to community organizations for additional supportive services
- The availability of our staff to testify in court if the individual chooses to prosecute.
Richmond University Medical Center has established numerous community partnerships to ensure a full continuum of care for victims of sexual assault. Our partners include:
- SAFE Horizon: Provides advocacy, crisis counseling and supportive services
- The Richmond County District Attorney’s Office: For legal and prosecution services
- The Special Victims Unit of the New York City Police Department: Will investigate cases, if individuals choose to report their assault.
- Community Health Action of Staten Island: For a minors (ages 13-17) that choose to be treated with the prophylactic HIV prevention, the Community Health Action of Staten Island will provide services to ensure these medications are being taken appropriately and safely at home.
- Staten Island Child Advocacy Center (CAC): All cases involving prepubescents (ages of 17 and under) are reported to the CAC for additional services and investigation.
Our SAFE program is embedded our emergency department, located at 355 Bard Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10310. Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For assistance and additional information, call 718-818-2995 or 718-818-1151.