Our History – Yesterday to Today
Richmond University Medical Center
Our hospital continues the tradition of serving the community…a tradition established over 100 years ago…..
|To understand the origins of our hospital, one could trace the history of this site back over 100 years. The Villa Building, known originally as the Garner Mansion, was built in 1859-1860 for Charles Corey Taber, a prominent cotton broker and real estate developer; however, it was purchased in 1870 by William T. Garner, a cotton mills owner and vice commodore of the New York Yacht Club. Ulysses S. Grant, the former General and 18th President, considered retiring here. One of the few free-standing pre-Civil War mansions still surviving in New York City, the Garner Mansion became the St. Austin’s School for Boys in the 1880s and later became known as St. Austin’s Military Academy. In 1903, it was acquired by the Sisters of Charity, the land behind the Villa was developed, and it became the original building of St. Vincent’s Hospital.|
The Hospital subsequently acquired the former Marine Hospital/U.S. Public Health Service Hospital in Stapleton, now called Bayley Seton Hospital where today, Mental Health Services as well as chemical dependencies services are offered. For an interesting history of this institution, including how a single room laboratory there became the foreruner of the present-day National Institute of Health (NIH), go here.
Through a series of affiliations and mergers, in 2007, Richmond University Medical Center emerged.
The Governing Body of RUMC is composed of a diverse group of people from the community of Staten Island with Board Members from the medical, financial, religious, legal and business sectors. Proudly, members of the Medical Staff occupy four seats on the Board of Trustees, a testimony to the dedication of the organization to the physicians who treat its patients.
Our hospital is a vital academic center on Staten Island. We are proud to have ACGME fully accredited independent residency programs in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Diagnostic Radiology affiliated SUNY Downstate.Medical Center. We sponsor a CPME- accredited Podiatry Residency program. Our residents in General Surgery are affiliated with SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, New York. In addition, we have Fellows in Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology and Minimally Invasive Surgery. The Residents are a key driver of clinical excellence and development. Residents regularly participate in Hospital-wide committees.
Richmond University Medical Center cares for over 22,000 admissions per year. Our Emergency Department treats over 65,000 patients per year. We are a participant in the New York State Regional Trauma Quality Improvement Program and have been designated a Level I Adult and Level II Pediatric Regional Trauma Center. As a Designated Stroke Center, we provide life saving services for the community of Staten Island. Our Maternal- Child Service has been designated as a New York State Level 3 Perinatal Center and boasts over 2500 births. Our Level III Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit reports some of the most impressive statistics in New York City. We have our own Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. RUMC is also designated as a SAFE Center of Excellence.
We continue to add services for the Staten Island community, including a new Retail Pharmacy in the Hospital Lobby. There is a new Psychiatric Emergency Department. A brand new Emergency Pavilion as well as an in-house MRI suite is planned. In addition, Richmond University has a patient-centered medical home model located nearby at the Castleton Clinic for Ambulatory Medicine.