Richmond University Medical Center’s Cancer Program holds the approval of the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons, one of the most prestigious national accreditations in the field of cancer.
In July 2007, our program was accredited with a three-year commendation.
Healing Care Across the Continuum
At RUMC, we specialize in providing a comprehensive array of services related to oncology across the continuum. Our oncology network provides state-of-the-art services in a healing environment, close to home.
Our Medical Oncologists
Our physicians are key in providing the latest care in a healing environment. We are proud to include the following physicians on staff at Richmond University Medical Center:
- Thomas J. Forlenza, M.D., Director of Oncology
- Mahmoud H. Aly, M.D., Chief of Hematology/Oncology
- David Cornell, M.D., Chief, Surgical Oncology
- Eli Serur, M.D., Chief, Gynecologic Oncology
- Richard Steinbruck, M.D., Cancer Liaison Physician
- Fanny Kasher, M.D., Breast Clinic Surgeon
- Joan Graziano, M.D., Director, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Marc T. Adams, M.D., Director of Radiation Oncology
- Hoon Lee, M.D.
- Seetha Murukutla, M.D.
- Shamim Salmon, M.D.
- Anibal Ribiero, M.D.
Additionally, oncology specialists are available to meet the needs of our patients. These services include gynecology, pain management, pediatrics, radiation and surgery.
The Ambulatory Oncology Unit offers a quiet, relaxed atmosphere and skilled, caring professionals for patients to receive a wide range of therapies including:
- Chemotherapy infusions
- Targeted monoclonal therapies
- Clinical trials
- Blood product replacement
- Supportive care, including Procrit®, Neupogen® and intravenous hydration
- Subcutaneous port-related services
- Therapeutic phlebotomy
- Hormonal therapy injections
- Hepatic artery pump infusion services
- Cerezyme® treatment of Gaucher’s Disease
- Remicade® infusions and other non-chemotherapy infusions, such as bisphosphonates, immunoglobulins, corticosteroids, iron and iron chelating agents
*including state-of-the art TomoTherapy
Advanced Diagnostic Services
- Full range of laboratory services
- Imaging services
- CAT scan
- MRI *
- MR angiography and spectroscopy *
- PET scan *
All are conveniently located adjacent to the hospital.
For all the advances in technology and technique, health care is, and will always be, reliant on people to make it all happen. Our Cancer Services Team includes nurse professionals who are experienced and certified in dealing with the special needs of cancer patients. Rounding out our interdisciplinary team are the certified tumor registrar, pharmacists, therapists, nutritionists, social workers and technologists. All work toward the common goal of providing first-class, comprehensive, compassionate care.
- Counseling, education, and support
- Discharge planning, home care and hospice referrals
- Pastoral care
- Community agency referrals
The Patient Navigator Program
The colonoscopy patient navigator’s primary function is to guide patients who are receiving colonoscopies through the health care system by assisting them with access issues; developing a relationship with hospital service providers; conducting outreach both inside and out of RUMC. Our goal is to streamline the GI suite process and provide tracking interventions and outcomes for our patients.
Navigator activities include:
- Guide patients through the colonoscopy procedure
- Help patients arrive at scheduled appointments on time and prepared
- Provide colonoscopy education and hospital bowel preparation procedures
- Assist patients in finding ways to pay for colonoscopies and/or referring them to the appropriate financial services
- Assist with arranging transportation for patients where needed
- Ensure proper follow-up with patients that have a positive finding
- Track and record interventions and outcomes
- Ensure colonoscopy screening materials are distributed throughout the clinics
To contact a Patient Navigator and learn more about the program, call 718-818-3024.
To make an appointment for a colonoscopy, call 718-818-3290.
For more information about cancer services, please contact Marion Smith, RN, MS, OCN, Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist and Program Coordinator, at 718-818-1024